skip to Main Content

How AI is Disrupting the Job Market and what the Future Holds

The 18th-century Industrial Revolution marked a pivotal shift in the job market, with groundbreaking machines and technologies disrupting established production methods.

Now, as we stand on the verge of another technological revolution, the job market is set to undergo significant transformations once again, driven by the rise of AI technology.

A Positive Outlook on the Future of Jobs

Despite potential challenges, the World Economic Forum’s Future of Jobs Report 2023 presents an optimistic outlook for workers navigating this rapidly evolving landscape.

The report, which surveyed 803 companies employing over 11.3 million workers across 45 economies and 27 industry clusters, reveals that technology adoption and sustainability will drive significant job growth.

“The largest job creation and destruction effects come from environmental, technology, and economic trends,” the report states, with technology, digitalisation, and sustainability driving the fastest-growing roles relative to their size today.

The fastest-growing roles include AI and machine learning specialists, sustainability specialists, business intelligence analysts, and information security analysts.

The Human-Machine Frontier

The report emphasises that automation’s progress is slower than once thought, with businesses estimating that machines handle 34% of all tasks, while humans take care of the remaining 66%.

This represents a negligible 1% increase from the 2020 edition of the report. Respondents expect 42% of business tasks to be automated by 2027, with task automation varying from 35% of reasoning and decision-making to 65% of information and data processing.

Interestingly, the report notes that “reasoning, communicating and coordinating – all traits with a comparative advantage for humans – are expected to be more automatable in the future.”

The Changing Skillset

In the face of these changes, analytical thinking and creative thinking remain the most important skills for workers in 2023.

Employers estimate that 44% of workers’ skills will be disrupted in the next five years, with cognitive skills growing in importance most quickly.

“Six in 10 workers will require training before 2027, but only half of workers are seen to have access to adequate training opportunities today,” the report warns. As a result, it is more important than ever to up-skill and re-skill.

Navigating the New Job Landscape

The World Economic Forum’s report presents a hopeful perspective on the future of work, demonstrating that AI and automation can complement job expansion and novel opportunities.

To successfully traverse this new terrain, businesses must allocate resources to up-skill their employees.

At the same time, governments must facilitate the evolution of skills and education systems to address the demands of a swiftly transforming job market.

Collaboration among all parties involved is crucial to developing a strategic plan that ensures an AI future that benefits everyone with opportunities and prosperity.

Recommendations for a Bright Future

  1. Develop comprehensive workforce training and skill development strategies through collaboration between businesses, governments, and educational institutions.
  2. Provide access to affordable and high-quality training opportunities to encourage lifelong learning and continuous skill development among the workforce.
  3. Tackle obstacles that hinder individuals from underrepresented groups from obtaining education and employment opportunities to encourage diversity and inclusivity in the workforce.
  4. Invest in social protection and safety nets to support workers during the transition to new job roles and industries.

In conclusion, the report offers a positive outlook for workers as long as all stakeholders commit to working together, embracing technology, and fostering a culture of continuous learning and adaptability.

The report from the World Economic Forum serves as a crucial reminder that we have the required tools and know-how to successfully steer through this transition. However, achieving this requires collective action and unwavering determination from all involved.

Rebecca Taylor

Rebecca is our AI news writer. A graduate of Leeds University with an International Journalism MA, she possesses a keen eye for the latest AI developments. Rebecca’s passion for AI, and with her journalistic expertise, brings insightful news stories for our readers.

Recent AI News Articles
Amazon - Anthropic
Back To Top